Tofu for Beginners
—the easiest tofu dish
in the world
(invented by Jade’s mom)
- 1 box tofu (regular or firm – increase marinade concentration
for extra firm)
- approx. 1 cup soy sauce
- approx. 0.5 cup water
- 1-2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 0.5 - 1 tsp. rice vinegar (optional—balsamic is an adequate
- brown sugar or other sweetener (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Korean BBQ sauce (optional)
- 1 tupperware container (required)
- 1 microwave (required)
1. Slice tofu into 0.7-0.8 cm wide strips (thick enough to not fall
apart easily, thin enough to get access to flavor).
2. In tupperware container, mix about 0.5 cup soy sauce with sweetener
(i.e. sugar), half of the water, vinegar, and sesame oil (and whatever
spices you might be experimenting with). Mix thoroughly.
3. Arrange tofu flat in tupperware container.
4. Add rest of soy sauce so that 2/3 of tofu is covered.
5. Dilute with just enough water so that the tofu is completely
6. Agitate container to thoroughly mix marinade.
7. Incubate at 4˚C overnight (or up to 2 nights) until substrate absorbs
soy sauce color.
8. Microwave (at high power) for 90 s.
9. Gently agitate container so marinade is evenly distributed. Remove
tupperware lid, but let it rest gently on the container in the microwave
(to prevent any possible explosions in the event of overheating).
10. Microwave (at high power) for another 120 s.